Embarassing, but my urine is green for the last 2 days. I've not eaten anything with dye in it, or anything out of the norm. Help?

Dr. Tarek Naguib
Internal Medicine - Nephrology & Dialysis

In brief: Difficult to say why

Different food reactions however alter the pH of urine without having to have eaten dye in food.
The change of pH would render a substance more soluble in urine and that may change the color. Remember in science class the litmus paper changes color with change of ph. If lots of veg, dairy, or tea pH goes up. Lots of meat, pops, limeade, would decrease pH (acid). Change the diet and color prob will.

In brief: Difficult to say why

Dr. Tarek Naguib
Dr. Tarek Naguib
Dr. Colin Kerr

In brief: Green urine

This is an odd one.
I have never seen green urine. I would be most suspicous of some food additive. The other thing you might consider is to have a "metabolic screen" on your urine to look for any abnormal organic chemicals that might indicate a hereditary disorder of metabolism. Urinary tract infection is the most common, and the urine may appear darkened or cloudy. It may not appear green...

In brief: Green urine

This is an odd one.
Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Colin Kerr
not appear green or may take on a greenish tinge. True green urine is rare and most commonly results from dyes or food colorings or from certain medications (this statement from http://www.localhealth.com/article/green-urine ). Another listed cause is propafol anestheia.
Dr. Keegan Duchicela