Fem:age:39, hypothyroid 60mcg from past 13 years. Now my LDL :168, HDL :48, tot choles:238, is high LDL related to my hypothyroid?Can I diet, exercise?

Dr. Bennett Werner
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

Aside from any other reasons that your LDL may be elevated (overweight? Family history? Other medicines you take? Diet?), being deficient in thyroid hormone will surely raise your ldl.

Dr. Bennett Werner
Dr. Bennett Werner
Dr. William Cromwell
Clinical Lipidology

In brief: Yes and Yes

Hypothyroidism is one of the most common conditions to affect lipoprotein metabolism. Increased total cholesterol, triglyceride and LDL levels are commonly present.
Treating hypothyroidism is key to lipoprotein control. Most physicians attempt to maintain TSH levels less than 2.0 as a goal of therapy. Diet and exercise are also important to lower LDL levels.

In brief: Yes and Yes

Dr. William Cromwell
Dr. William Cromwell
Dr. Marsha Davis