I have difficulty opening my trigger finger in the morning. The muscle for it may be inflamed. I do emails like a machine. What is the cure for it?

Dr. Gary Weiner
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Injection

Typically a stubborn trigger finger that repeatedly "sticks" or "clicks" and/or may be painful can be alleviated with a local injection of cortisone within the tendon sheath.
This is a simple office procedure that can be performed by most orthopedic or hand specialists.

In brief: Injection

Dr. Gary Weiner
Dr. Gary Weiner
Dr. Robert Coats II
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Injection or surgery

Inflammation of the tendon and/or tendon sheath causes triggering of the finger. The muscle is not a factor and the e-mails don't help.
This is more common in diabetics. Steroids, oral or injectable, is a good initial treatment. The definitive treatment is surgical release of the a1 pulley, which is commonly called a trigger release.

In brief: Injection or surgery

Dr. Robert Coats II
Dr. Robert Coats II
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine