What is an alternative to iodine used in CT with contrast? Say, someone is allergic to shellfish....What is an alternative contrast to use?

Dr. Paul Carter
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
In brief: Reaction to contrast
Contrast media reactions are often described as allergy but in truth are not allergy.
The high concentration of the contrast can shock cells called basophils into releasing their granules filled with histamine. This causes the same reaction as the histamine release due to allergy. Shellfish allergy has nothing to do with iodine or contrast. Low osmolality contrast & premedication helps.

In brief: Reaction to contrast
Dr. Paul Carter
Dr. Paul Carter
Dr. Steven Machtinger
A really excellent answer. Thank you Dr. Carter.
Dr. Michael Korona
Radiology - Interventional
In brief: Get
Premedicated if your worried and have the test.
Shell fish allergy doesn't really increase your risk of allergy to contrast in my opinion. I have a shell fish allergy so i understand your concern. If my patients are worried, i premedicate them.

In brief: Get
Dr. Michael Korona
Dr. Michael Korona
Dr. Andrew Murphy
In brief: Not related
Shellfish allergy and contrast reactions are not related.
The major shellfish allergen is tropomyosin. The issue with contrast reactions is related to the concentration of the dye used.

In brief: Not related
Dr. Andrew Murphy
Dr. Andrew Murphy
Dr. Howard Lelvowitz
In brief: See below
Mri is one alternative or Benadryl (diphenhydramine) and Prednisone prioir to the procedure if absolutely necessary.

In brief: See below
Dr. Howard Lelvowitz
Dr. Howard Lelvowitz
Dr. Marsha Davis