I got a cerclage yesterday at 11.4 weeks and my dr said that I wouldnt make it to 22 weeks before being hospitalized. How can he possibly predict that?

Dr. Roman Alvarez
Pediatrics - Neonatology

In brief: Possible Prediction

Depending on your obstetrical history and the clinical findings that led your obstetrician to perform a cerclage, are factors that have prognostic value.
In his professional opinion, formed from your examination of the gravid cervix ( ripening, dilatation) and projected fetal size by 20 weeks, his best judgement warranted to notify you of his suspicion for a very early onset of labor.

In brief: Possible Prediction

Dr. Roman Alvarez
Dr. Roman Alvarez
Dr. Nikolaos Zacharias
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine

In brief: He cannot.

Start vaginal Progesterone cream as well (prochieve or Crinone (progesterone gel) 8% one applicatorful nightly) until delivery! I am not sure why/if you needed cerclage, but the extra Progesterone should help prevent preterm birth.
Your doctor cannot possibly predict how you will do with a cerclage at 11 weeks. (too early to place one). Have you had fetal dna testing yet? Try maternit21 to assure normal fetus!

In brief: He cannot.

Dr. Nikolaos Zacharias
Dr. Nikolaos Zacharias
Dr. Jane Van Dis