What is relationship of gum and heart disease?

Dr. Allen Seely
General Practice
In brief: 2x risk of heart ds
Researchers have found that people with periodontal (gum) disease are almost twice as likely to suffer from coronary artery disease as those without periodontal disease.
Periodontal disease can also exacerbate existing heart conditions. Patients at risk for infective endocarditis may require antibiotics prior to dental procedures. So get to your dentist for frequent cleanings and floss!

In brief: 2x risk of heart ds
Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Bennett Werner
I'm sorry but I must respectfully disagree on several counts. The 2007 revision of the American Heart Association guidelines for antibiotic prophylaxis have removed the dental indication for all except those with prosthetic heart valves or systemic shunts. Also, the periodontal risk has conflicting evidence. Finally it's possible that chewing gum may lower the risk of gum disease by removing food
Dr. Eric Linden
Dentistry - Periodontics
In brief: Association
There is a strong association between gum disease and heart disease.
Many studies done in the us and in europe have shown this consistently. If you have untreated or unstable gum disease, then it would be in the patient's interest to have the gum disease under control to lessen in the chances of having heart disease issues.

In brief: Association
Dr. Eric Linden
Dr. Eric Linden
Dr. Bennett Werner
Internal Medicine - Cardiology
In brief: None
I'm not aware of any correlation between gum (i assume you mean chewing gum? ) and heart disease.
Chew on!

In brief: None
Chew on!
Dr. Bennett Werner
Dr. Bennett Werner
Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology