Overheard resident say "flk" and attending say my child needs to see pediatric geneticist. What was that about?

Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Medical slang

Flk stands for “funny-looking kid, ” and was a general term for infants affected with various malformation syndromes, particularly those involving multiple facial abnormalities.
Considered demeaning and insensitive, it is no longer in use.

In brief: Medical slang

Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied

In brief: See below

An unfortunate occurrence.
Flk is used to mean funny looking kid. So they must have felt your child may have a genetic syndrome.

In brief: See below

An unfortunate occurrence.
Dr. Anthony LaBarbera
Dr. Anthony LaBarbera

In brief: DLK preferred

One of my mentors used to decry the demeaning flk term and switch to Face like Kennedy to cover up the insensitive term.She preferred DLK or distinctive looking kid, which was more accurate.
This was 30+ yrs ago,while doing genetic consults.I would have thought the term had disappeared.Sad to see residents falling in to the same bad habits today.

In brief: DLK preferred

Dr. Shontae Buffington