How do doctors diagnose mitochondrial disease?

Complex. It is complex due to genetic heterogeneity. Gusto pathology findings and respiratory chain enzymes are correlated with clinical findings. Muscle biopsy and direct testing of mitochondrial genes are frequently utilized. Question is complex and should be addressed to pediatrician who will direct you to facility equipped to handle diagnostic procedures.
Big work up. All suspected patients get blood and urine tests. Then to see how widespread the disease is, ekg, echocardiogram, brain mri, audiology and eye exams are next. Patients with neurologic symptoms need spinal fluid tests, and people with developmental delays get neurogenetic testing and counseling. For more info and to find docs that take care of these diseases, see umdf.Org. Good luck.