Why can't they determine if you have colon cancer from your poop?

They can to a degree. A commercial stool test is available to identify early colon cancer. The test is pricey & not absolutely accurate, nor is any test designed to find colon cancer, or for that matter any cancer. The goal, however, of colon cancer screening is to identify pre-cancerous lesions so they can be removed before growing into a cancer. A test that only identifies cancer is by definition a screening failure.
It is complicated. It is not that straight forward. You can not just look at stool and decide that a pt ha cancer. There are now a days dna tests and other tests that examine the stool and one can have and idea that there is a cancer, but ultimately a colonoscopy and biopsy are needed. This is important to have 100 percent certainty of the diagnosis of cancer and los they type of cancer. www.drlugo.com.