My family shunned me. How can I replace them?

Dr. Maritza Baez

In brief: You can't

No one can replace your family.
But you can surround yourself with positive people. Maybe going to a church or a community center or a support group in your community would help. Or you might want to consider talking to a counselor about how you are feeling. Being shunned hurts. You shouldn't be alone with those feelings.

In brief: You can't

No one can replace your family.
Dr. Maritza Baez
Dr. Maritza Baez
Pathology

In brief: Good riddance

Harsh but true. There are many situations in which you're best without any contact with a dysfunctional family of origin.
"shunning" is a practice used by authoritarian cults in which members are forced to break all contact with a "sinner" even in their own family -- for example a jw who accepts a transfusion. The key is friends -- find activities u truly enjoy, be polite & helpful. It'll be good.

In brief: Good riddance