Neither of my parents ever gained more than 10 pounds over their ideal weight the 60 years I knew them. Why am I overweight?

Dr. Janet Greenhut
Preventive Medicine

In brief: More than genetics

It's true that if 1 or both parents are overweight your chances of being overweight increase, but how much you weigh depends on more than your parents' weight.
How much you eat, how much and what kinds of exercise you do, your age, medications you're taking, and some medical conditions will affect your weight as well. Some of these factors can be modified, like diet and exercise. Talk to your doc.

In brief: More than genetics

Dr. Janet Greenhut
Dr. Janet Greenhut
Dr. Arnon Rubin