We believe in herbal supplements for expectant mothers. We see no problems in our community. Why do doctors object?

Dr. Randy Baker
Holistic Medicine

In brief: Lack of education

In med school doctors are taught primarily about drugs & surgery.
We are taught very little about herbs, nutrition & other natural therapies & often look at alternative approaches with suspicion. I believe this is due to the pervasive influence of the pharmaceutical industry. While many herbs are safe in pregnancy, many are not. I do advise avoiding most herbs in the 1st trimester-see comment:.

In brief: Lack of education

Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker
3 comments
Dr. Randy Baker
Developing fetuses are very sensitive to all sorts of influences in the first trimester, so in general it is wise to avoid medicinal substances of all kinds then to err on the side of caution (I advise homeopathy to treat ailments in the 1st trimester). I think doctors object out of a real fear that herbs might harm the baby, but this fear comes from ignorance & is mostly unsubstantiated. However
Dr. Randy Baker
there are some herbs that may be hazardous to take during pregnancy- anything that has the power to heal has the power to (sometimes) harm. Here are some articles: http://www.babycenter.com/406_is-it-safe-to-drink-herbal-tea-during-pregnancy_1246852.bc & http://www.naturalsolutionsmag.com/blog/womens-health/safe-use-herbs-during-pregnancy
Dr. Miguel Cano

In brief: No objection

We do recognize that there are herbal supplements that can cause miscarriage, bleeding tendencies, or counteract therapeutic medicines (such as thyroid replacement, depression or psychiatric meds).
I only ask that you review the meds with your ob, make sure they're safe, & ensure a benefit if you're taking them. So, i don't object at all if the above is followed. Have a healthy pregnancy.

In brief: No objection

Dr. Miguel Cano
Dr. Miguel Cano
Dr. Vicken Poochikian