How can atrial fibrillation and flutter be treated?

Three options. Generally speaking, we can attempt to control the rate, we can attempt to keep you in a normal rhythm with medications, or we can attempt a long-term tour of the rhythm using a catheter ablation. There are also surgical treatment for the arrhythmias, but these are generally not first-line treatments unless you have another reason to have heart surgery.
Similar. Both are atrial arrhythmias. They often occur in the same person, sometimes moments apart. In fib, the atrial electrical activity is completely disorganized. In flutter, the atrial rate is usually 300. In untreated fib, the ventricular rate is usually 160-200. In flutter, the vr is usually 150.
Meds and procedures. Medications are used to control the heart or restore normal rhythm. Depending on the risk factors, blood thinners may be prescribed to lower the risk of stroke. Catheter and surgical procedures are also available in some patients to restore sinus rhythm.