If my baby has a heart defect can I deliver at my local hospital?

Dr. David Shenouda
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Probably not

Depending on the size and type of the defect, you will most likely need to be seen by a sepcialized obstetrician practicing maternal fetal medicine.
They usually prefer to deliver at hospitals that have a neonatal intensive care unit. Definitely seek out more personalized advice from your obstetrician or health care provider. Best wishes.

In brief: Probably not

Dr. David Shenouda
Dr. David Shenouda

In brief: Depends

When a prenatal ultrasound finds a heart defect, you and your obstetrician can begin the formulation of a plan for delivery.
Many with a simple VSD can be delivered at a local hospital and see a baby heart doc as an outpatient.Some with more complex issues would need a hospital with an NICU available.Your local docs are well aware of the strengths and limitations of local care.Seek their input.

In brief: Depends