Why do doctors say to feed real fruit and avoid juices? I have kids and cannot deal with the mess.

In brief: Sugar water

Juices are one of the most promoted processed foods.
They are little more than flavored sugar water that is promoted to be healthy so you don't feel as bad as you would giving them a coke.I value them as equal to colas. Kids can be taught to clean up their own mess.

In brief: Sugar water

In brief: Low glycemic foods

Real fruit has a higher fiber content and consequently a lower glycemic index which is healthier for children.
A great snack is sliced apples with peanut butter. The most fattening fruits are bananas, grapes (raisins) and watermelon, all high glycemic. Low glycemic fruits would include apples. Pears and all of the berries. Newer research and development will include diabetic, kid friendly food.

In brief: Low glycemic foods

Dr. Angelo Mitsos
Dr. Angelo Mitsos
Dr. Jonathan Jassey