What is the reason behind snoring?

Dr. Dennis Clifford
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care

In brief: Soft palate

When we inhale the soft palate can vibrate against the back of the throat.
This usually only happens at night because muscle tone in the soft palate is lower and the recumbent position allows gravity to pull the tissues closer together. Some people anatomically have less space in the back of the throat making snoring more likely. Obesity also makes it more likely.

In brief: Soft palate

Dr. Dennis Clifford
Dr. Dennis Clifford
Dr. Phil Zapanta
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Many answers

Classically the snoring sound comes from the soft palate and uvula.
However, when I have performed sleep endoscopy on my patients (patients are asleep as i watch their airway with a fiberoptic scope), I have seen the tongue, lateral walls, and even the epiglottis vibrate to contribute to the snoring. Improving nasal airflow is a good 1st step in addressing snoring.

In brief: Many answers

Dr. Phil Zapanta
Dr. Phil Zapanta