Is tap water safe to drink if someone uses a filter?

Yes. Tap water in the usa is safe to drink by itself. A filter might remove a few solids but your body can handle them anyway. Note also that many bottled waters are actually tap water.
Yes. In the us, generally the water is safe. Filtration may make it more so. However it is wise to remember that filtration may take away certain elements that are good for you as well. Filtration has many different types, the cheap ones work, but the best are ones use the "reverse osmosis" type of filtration technology. Remember bottled water may not have fluoride, needed to reduce cavities in kids.