Is endurance exercise better for mental cognition than strength exercise?

Dr. Pam Yoder
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine

In brief: Best=what you'll do!

Yes, endurance/other activity that raises hr is better than simply lifting weights, eg.
But the regimen need not be overly strenuous. Even walking has been shown to have beneficial effects on cognitive function of "seniors" (note the numerous articles by art kramer, phd, and colleagues). So it is best to select or continue an activity that is enjoyable and engage in it on a regular basis.

In brief: Best=what you'll do!

Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Brian Kaufman

In brief: Either

Both types of exercise can improve cognition.
I am not aware that any study had shown superiority overall in terms of mental function although cardiovascular activity is generally perceived to have direct effects on cognition. A balance of the two is probably best for overall health.

In brief: Either

Dr. Brian Kaufman
Dr. Brian Kaufman
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine