I have a boil or furuncle, what can I do to relieve the pain?

Pathology

In brief: Warm compress &

Depending on where the boil is, you may get by with letting it pop, aided by warm compress, and relieve the pain with tylenol (acetaminophen) or Motrin and the like. If that does not relieve the boil in a couple of days, you should see your doctor to see if needs to be drained. If it is on your face see your doctor soon.

In brief: Warm compress &

Dr. John Ebner
Dermatology

In brief: Hot / Wet Compress

First try applying a hot/wet compress several times daily and leave it in place for 20 minutes at a time.
This will soften the blocked follicle causing the problem and often allow the puss to drain more easily. If this does not work, you will need to have it lanced and drained by your doctor.

In brief: Hot / Wet Compress

Dr. John Ebner
Dr. John Ebner
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery