Is it risky for me to use a fraxel laser if I have patches of vitiligo?

Dr. Stuart Epstein
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
In brief: Ask dermatologist
This is a dermatology question.

In brief: Ask dermatologist
This is a dermatology question.
Dr. Stuart Epstein
Dr. Stuart Epstein
Dr. Shalini Gupta
Dermatology
In brief: Possibly
There is a risk of causing progression of your vitiligo with any laser treatment that targets pigment producing cells.
I have been able to bring color back to white patches of scarred skin (non vitiligo) with fraxel laser though.

In brief: Possibly
Dr. Shalini Gupta
Dr. Shalini Gupta
Dr. Jason Lichten
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Yes and no.
There are risks to every procedure.
For fraxel, pigmentation changes is a rare side effect. If you have problems with pigmentation like vitiligo, it is possible there will be problems, but it may be more likely that the skin tone is more even after the procedure.

In brief: Yes and no.
There are risks to every procedure.
Dr. Jason Lichten
Dr. Jason Lichten