I'm having a dry cough, can I treat it with guaifenesin?

Yes, but ... Guaifenesin is used to relieve chest congestion . Guaifenesin may help control symptoms but does not treat the cause of symptoms or speed recovery. Guaifenesin is in a class of medications called expectorants. It works by thinning the mucus in the air passages to make it easier to cough up the mucus and clear the airways. Take it with lots of water. I am pessimistic whether it works in patients.
Need diagnosis... Before you can treat a dry cough, it needs to be diagnosed. Possible etiologies include bronchospasm of any etiology, gerd, sinus problems or a combination of these factors. These all have different treatments. Cough meds will not treat this type of cough. You need to be seen by your doctor, especially if this cough is not improving on its own. If you smoke, smoking cessation is needed.