How can you treat a blood blister?

Dr. Jennifer Haley
Dermatology
In brief: Leave or release
If the pressure is unbearable, clean it and a sterile needle with some alcohol and puncture it from the side to release the blood.
Do not remove the roof as this will act as a natural dressing until the skin underneath heals and pushes this dead skin off. I recommend aquaphor and a bandage for 24 hrs after puncturing. And do not touch it if you are diabetic and it is on your foot - get checked.

In brief: Leave or release
Dr. Jennifer Haley
Dr. Jennifer Haley
Dr. David Hardin
Wound care
In brief: Protect it
An unpopped blister represents a closed sterile environment.
Yes on occasion one can become infected then it is time to open it, however the risk of infection in a dressed open wound is still higher than that of an intact blister. The blister will gradually resolve with time.

In brief: Protect it
Dr. David Hardin
Dr. David Hardin