How can I prevent my hand from hurting when I write?

Dr. Robert Coats II
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Modification
Any activity overdone can cause problems and writing is no different.
Take frequent breaks while writting and stretch your fingers and wrists. Try a larger grip on your pen or pencil. Always maintain a comfortable position.

In brief: Modification
Dr. Robert Coats II
Dr. Robert Coats II
Dr. Michael Fisher
Dermatology
In brief: Writer's cramp
Writer's cramp is a focal dystonia of the fingers, hand, and/or forearm. Symptoms usually appear when a person is trying to do a task that requires fine motor movements, such as writing or playing a musical instrument.
The symptoms may be isolated to only those tasks or affect the muscles in a more general way and spread to affect many tasks. Treatment is occupational therapy or Botox injections.

In brief: Writer's cramp
Dr. Michael Fisher
Dr. Michael Fisher
Dr. Arnon Rubin