What does it feel like to tell someone a potentially life-threatening diagnosis like cancer?

Dr. Joseph Woods
Pathology

In brief: It is not easy.

This is one of the hardest things a doctor has to do.
There is no simple way to handle this, just learn by experience. Often the patient is not prepared, and does not want to think about this possibility. Sometimes they already suspect that this is the case. Whichever it is, noone knows how it feels until they do it themselves.

In brief: It is not easy.

Dr. Joseph Woods
Dr. Joseph Woods

In brief: It has felt like

I had the responbility to be clear, to be compassionate & to be ready to contend with whatever reaction the patient has.
I no longer break new about cancer to patients- but I still am often the bearer of bad news. What is very gratifying - is if I come away from the experience feeling like interchange went as well as possible.

In brief: It has felt like

Dr. Arnon Rubin