Can having high blood pressure be a problem when working on weight loss?

Yes. Hypertension increases your risk for heart disease. Weight loss decreases this risk. Also losing weight will decrease your blood pressure. Tips: make half your meal vegetables and fruits. Go for variety. Choose whole grains & limit refined grains. pick the healthiest sources of protein. Drink lots of water. Stay active.
Maybe. First if you are taking any drugs or natural suplements that increase your metabolism or speed up "fat burning" you may cause yor blood pressure to go up and your pulse to race. Both not good for the heart. Next if your exercising and dont have your blood pressure controlled , then you can cause dramatic spikes in your BP at peak exercise. Check with your dr before starting any diets or execise pro.