What are the symptoms of hairy cell leukemia?

Dr. Steven Ginsberg
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology
In brief: Fatigue
Hairy cell leukemia is a very rare disorder. It is diagnosed, usually, when a person presents with severe fatigue, and anemia is detected.
A large spleen is often detected on examination.

In brief: Fatigue
Dr. Steven Ginsberg
Dr. Steven Ginsberg
Dr. Devon Webster
Internal Medicine - Oncology
In brief: Fatigue
Unlike other leukemias, hairy cell leukemia symptoms are slow and gradual.
Most patients complain of fatigue. Feeling full after eating a small amount can happen if the patient's spleen is very enlarged, but in my experience it's fatigue that brings people in to see their doctor, and blood count abnormalities (low white cells or platelets) that lead to a bone marrow biopsy and the diagnosis.

In brief: Fatigue
Dr. Devon Webster
Dr. Devon Webster
Dr. Keegan Duchicela