What are the symptoms of fioricet (acetaminophen butalbital and caffeine) addiction?

Dr. Mark Shukhman
Addiction Medicine

In brief: Like barbiturates

Fioricet (acetaminophen butalbital and caffeine) has butalbital, - an old sedative, which is very addictive.
You are addicted if you need to take more and more to achieve the same result and if you have withdrawals from not taking the next dose. I treat this addiction by prescribing 3 generics instead of Fioricet (acetaminophen butalbital and caffeine) and then first substituting components and them weaning slowly from each component.

In brief: Like barbiturates

Dr. Mark Shukhman
Dr. Mark Shukhman
Dr. Eric Weisman