Is digitalis used to cure abnormal heart rhythms?

In brief: Ask a cardiologist

Digitalis has a long history of treating congestive heart failure by stimulating the heart muscle.
I believe it is used in patients with heart failure but with a normal sinus rhythm.

In brief: Ask a cardiologist

Dr. Joseph Newman
Dr. Joseph Newman
Dr. Michael Fenster
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: No

No. Digitalis also referred to as digoxin can be used to treat symptoms of abnormal rhythms such as atrial fibrillation.
It may help keep someone in a normal sinus rhythm or help control the ventricular rate. While it may help with symptoms, digoxin does not "cure" dysrhythmias. In fact, like most anti-arrhythmic medication, it can-especially at high doses- cause dysrhythmias.

In brief: No

Dr. Michael Fenster
Dr. Michael Fenster
Dr. Adam Smith