When will my baby respond to her name?

Dr. Cornelia Franz

In brief: 9 mnths

Developmentally infants recognize and respond to their name by 9 months.
Babies continue to amaze me with their ability to learn. Best advice is for you to observe and notice when your child seems to consistently respond to his/her name. They recognize voices from in utero and can distinguish mom from dad....So maybe by 6 months you may notice your child recognizes his/her name.

In brief: 9 mnths

Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Mark Diamond

In brief: Around 6 Months

At about 6 months of age, most babies will respond to their names.
This may be a look, a smile or the baby " talking". Remember nicknames take hold also, so be careful not to use demeaning ones.

In brief: Around 6 Months

Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond