What are the symptoms of a lung nodule and are they malignant?

No symptoms. Lung nodules have no symptoms, unfortunately. Most of the time, they are benign things like scars, but sometimes they can be early cancers. If you have a nodule found on a cat scan, they need to be followed to make sure they don't grow or change over time. This is especially true if you have risk factors for cancer such as smoking or radiation exposure.
No symptoms. The lung has no sensory nerves, and even very large nodules/masses can be completely asymptomatic. Symptoms are rare, but can include persistent cough, chest wall pain. Malignant? Depends on age, size of the nodule, prior cancer? Smoking history? Most nodules (>95%) are not cancer, and invasive procedures should be reserved for when suspicion (guided by above factors) is high.