Husband has cirrosis by hepc, is this the cause for his difficulty sleeping, and confusion while he gets up at night, does have fliud retention?

Ammonia. Ammonia build up is most common cause, may need to increase lactulose, should talk to his doctor.
Yes. He needs to be under the care of a competent liver specialist (hepatologist). High levels of ammonia accumulate in people with severe cirrhosis, and changes in diet and the addition of several medications can improve this, and reduction in salt in his diet (plus water pills if needed) can reduce the fluid retention. The cause should be sought, and if possible treated. He must avoid all alcohol.