Over the last 3 years my blood sugar has gone from 6 to 7 to 9. My doctor advises going on medicine(pills) is it possible to control this with diet or?

Dr. Susan Wingo
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology
In brief: Diet not working!
Your case illustrates quite clearly that type 2 diabetes is a progressive condition so that what worked at one time is no longer sufficient.
Your sugars are now 150% of where they were 3 years ago. Certainly, if you've not been following your diet & exercise plan, you should work on this, but if you're lifestyle is good, and your sugars are high, meds are needed.

In brief: Diet not working!
Dr. Susan Wingo
Dr. Susan Wingo
Dr. Marsha Davis