I had a total thyroidectomy and after 10yrs my thyroid antibioties came back elevated. My tg was unmeasurable. Is this something I should be concerned?

Dr. Quang Nguyen
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Probably not

Did you have thyroid cancer or just a goiter 10 years ago? If no cancer, then there is nothing to worry about.
You probably had positive antibodies 10 years ago as well. If you did have thyroid cancer 10 years ago and the antibodies were negative and now positive, then it's time for an evaluation.

In brief: Probably not

Dr. Quang Nguyen
Dr. Quang Nguyen
Dr. David Sneid
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Probably no problem

Thyroid antibodies can persist for a lifetime.
If your tg is low and your thyroidectomy was not for cancer, then make sure you take the right dose of brand name T4 replacement and you doctor checks to see that your levels ar normal.

In brief: Probably no problem

Dr. David Sneid
Dr. David Sneid
Dr. Arnon Rubin