Is it possible to lose enough weight for a fatty liver to go back to normal?

Dr. Qamar Khan
Pain Management
In brief: Depends
Fatty liver has been linked to obesity, however it is typically seen in people who place alot of stress on the liver's function.
Typically seen in alcoholics, however when seen in non-alcoholics it is called non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (nash). Weight loss needs to be achieved to make a change, especially will help those associated with obesity.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Qamar Khan
Dr. Qamar Khan
Dr. Vivek Huilgol
We typically suggest someone lose about 10% of their initial weight - for example if 220 lbs, should lose 22. This can results in significant improvement in the liver. I suggest you see a GI or hepatologist who belongs to the AASLD.
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Yes it is possible.
I recommend you watch a documentary called 'super size me". The guy in it basically develops fatty liver while eating a certain way and once he goes back to a healthy diet his liver returns to normal.

Yes it is possible.
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Adam Smith