Hydrosalpinx on one side. Why do they recommend pinching off? Can't u get pregnant from other fallop tube? Fertility specialists please. Thanks

Dr. Nancy Durso
Fertility Medicine

In brief: I've seen it

The fluid in the hydrosalpinx is hostile to the uterine environment so an embryo from the "good" tube doesn't implant.
Through my experience when I have blocked or removed a hydrosalpinx from one side and the other side was open the patient usually got pregnant without ivf in 1-4 months.

In brief: I've seen it

Dr. Nancy Durso
Dr. Nancy Durso
Dr. Khurram Rehman
Fertility Medicine

In brief: Lower preg. chances

Yes, you can get pregnant from the other tube, but having a hydrosalpinx lowers your chances.
For women undergoing ivf, having a hydrosalpinx on both sides reduces the ivf success rate by a third to a half. Fluid inside the blocked tube may be toxic to embryos. One-sided hydrosalpinx may have less effect. Removing the hydrosalpinx or disconnecting it from the uterus improves your fertility.

In brief: Lower preg. chances

Dr. Khurram Rehman
Dr. Khurram Rehman
Dr. Adam Levy