Is it rare to have reflex sympathetic dystrophy in the knee?

Yes. Rsd or chronic regional pain syndrome is usually seen in the upper or lower extremities and usually involves a wider area than the knee itself. For instance, we may see it involving the calf, ankle and foot or hand wrist and forearm. I have heard of this diagnosis being made in a single joint like the knee but I have never seen it myself.
Yes. Rsd affects larger areas such as the ankle and foot or an area from the knee down to the foot. I have even seen the entire leg affected. Upper extremities can also be affected. An isolated area such as the knee would be very uncommon for rsd.
Not at all. RSD commonly affects extremities, particularly in locations susceptible to trauma. The knee may be involved secondary to a blunt trauma or sports injury, and after surgery such as arthroscopy or joint replacement.