Does vertebroplasty/kyphoplasty actually have better results compared to sham procedures/placebo effect? (referencing an article in nejm aug 2009)

Dr. Mark Weston
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine
In brief: Yrs
I have read this study my opinion is badly flawed I have done thousands of these my impression was it worked wonders but only on new fractures not all wedges are new fractures it works if the diagnosis of acute fracture is correct it won't fix chronic back pain from spondylitis or low backache from saggital plane imbalance it will fix new terrible pain after a fall that shows increased single mri.

In brief: Yrs
Dr. Mark Weston
Dr. Mark Weston
Dr. Jonathan Hyde
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine
The vertos ii study (lancet) was better designed and showed significant improvements.
Talk with your surgeon. I still perform both...Helps patients!

Dr. Jonathan Hyde
Dr. Jonathan Hyde
Dr. Sharad Rajpal
Neurosurgery
Studies have to be examined carefully to understand their conclusions.
There are multiple issues with the study mentioned in the question, but the bottom line is that in my anecdotal experience as a surgeon who treats these fractures, patients do extremely well with the procedure with faster recovery time, esp. Since the surgery is low risk with great outcomes.

Dr. Sharad Rajpal
Dr. Sharad Rajpal
Dr. Jack Hinkle