My mother-in-law's mad because I didn't take my newborn to her house for a party during flu season. What can I say?

Dr. Keegan Duchicela
In brief: Smart.
I wouldn't take my newborn out to a party either. Let your mil know that especially before 4 mo, the baby's immune system isn't well developed yet and even little colds and other bugs can make them really sick.
When things cool down between you and her, you should make sure she's gotten her whooping cough booster too... But tread lightly... You might need her for childcare later on. =).

In brief: Smart.
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
In brief: See below
Let her know that the flu can be dangerous in infants, let alone newborns.
And is is best to avoid exposure.

In brief: See below
And is is best to avoid exposure.
Dr. Anthony LaBarbera
Dr. Anthony LaBarbera
In brief: The truth
If she really cares about the baby she would want to protect him/her. That means NEVER exposing baby to risk, especially for something as trivial as a party.
A newborn is different from a 1 or 5 year old. Your mothering skills are fine and she should get over it. If not, she is not worth the worry she causes. Never let her control you.

In brief: The truth
Dr. Jonathan Jassey