My baby was born 5 weeks early. Should I expect for his milestones to be all 5 weeks late?

Dr. Cindy Juster

In brief: It can happen.

Babies born 5 weeks early can range from a 5 week delay down to no delay at all.
Some of it is influenced by how they did in the nursery and whether they needed nicu care. His doctor will monitor his development at the well child visits.

In brief: It can happen.

Dr. Cindy Juster
Dr. Cindy Juster

In brief: For a while

We generally adjust our expectations on premi's on a week for week basis for the first 1-2 yrs.
Especially if they were very premi (under 30 wks).Many actually show no delay after the first 6 mo, and once they catch up we expect them to stay on track.

In brief: For a while

Dr. Jonathan Jassey