What is nipple confusion?

Dr. Pamela Lindor

In brief: Nipple confusion

Breastfeeding and bottle feeding are very different with respect to the way a baby needs to suck.
Breastfeeding requires the baby to have a wide open mouth with the tongue down and curled under the nipple. Some babies can become "confused" if artificial nipples from pacifiers and or bottles are introduced early, before breastfeeding is well established.

In brief: Nipple confusion

Dr. Pamela Lindor
Dr. Pamela Lindor

In brief: Lactation terms

Many breast coaches will use this term to describe the idea that a baby will not work to start breast feeding if they are offered a pacifier or bottle.
They say it promotes nipple confusion. In three decades of doing this I have found it works opposite. If kids never try a pacifier or bottle, mom's have a hard time getting them to wean or use one. I consider it bunk.

In brief: Lactation terms

Dr. Jonathan Jassey