Is it possible for a preemie to not be behind (emotionally, socially, physically)?

Development in infants follows a similar sequence reguardless of prematurity.
I have seen many 34+ wk premi's match the talents of term infants. As you go earlier, it is less likely. I find it more important to monitor progress thru skill sets with the aid of early childhood professionals. They can find areas of where a bit of help can give your child a chance to catch up.

Dr. Richard Zimon
Prematurely born infants not only "catch up" developmentally but SHINE just as brightly as their full term peers....in fact by PRE-SCHOOL you usually can't tell the difference! Hope this helps Dr Z

A premi or term infant will develop skills in the same sequence.
Their speed is defined by a complex set of genetic and other factors. Parents should of focus on the progression, rather than the age of a given milestone. Prolonged respiratory support, infections, surgery or other issues may delay certain skills. Early evaluation and treatment by a eci program can.

Preemies come in all shapes and sizes, with no two being alike.
Most of the mildly premature babies, born at 34-37 weeks gestation, are just like full term babies after the first 18-24 months of life. Babies born with under 34 weeks of gestation are more likely to have some delays (the shorter the gestation, the more likely there will be problems), but even these babies can be lucky and do well.

Dr. Mark Diamond

As preemies grow up, they certainly can mature and at some point experience no delays.
They are , unfortunately at higher risk for problems in this are which may be mitigated by early stimulation therapy intervention. Discuss questions with your pediatrician.

Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond