I'm feeling a small burning in the stomach all the time, and it hurts even more when I drink soda. The ER won't do anything. Should I be worried?

Dr. Julie ann Harrigan
Internal Medicine - Hospital-based practice

In brief: Stomach burn

this could mean you have gastritis (swelling of the lining of the stomach) or the beginnings of a stomach ulcer.
Soda is very irritating to the lining of the stomach because if it's carbonation. I would recommend talking to a primary doctor about medication; things like omeprazol, Zantac, (ranitidine) Pepcid will help and are OTC remedies. If it gets more serious or persists then you may need an endoscopy

In brief: Stomach burn

Dr. Julie ann Harrigan
Dr. Julie ann Harrigan
Dr. Jane Lykins

In brief: A blood test

for H. Pylori might be your next step.
.. this is a bacteria that can infect the stomach and cause gastritis and ulcers. If you have it, you need a 2 week course of antibiotics to clear it. And in the meantime, stop drinking soda!!

In brief: A blood test

for H. Pylori might be your next step.
Dr. Jane Lykins
Dr. Jane Lykins
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine