When should a person with kidney stones seek emergency treatment?

Degree of pain. If you can no longer tolerate the pain of a stone its time to see someone. Keep hydrated. If you don't drink the process will take even longer. Not all stones can pass on their own. You may need the help of a urologist. Best of luck.
Here are some… Asymptomatic kidney stone requires no emergent Rx / care. However, its related unbearable pain and superimposed urinary infection,which is usually related with obstruction by stone and manifests with fever and chill, need emergent evaluation, treatment, and counseling.