Do I have the right to tell the doctor to induce me at 39-40 weeks if I am very uncomfortable?

Dr. Pam Yoder
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine

In brief: Is benefit > risk?

In the past, some obs were open to this.
However, there are increased chances of problems for pregnant women (eg, cesarean section if labor does not go well). Now we're also more aware that there are threats to even big babies if the lmp date or ultrasound was incorrect and pregnancy not far enough along http://www.Nih.Gov/news/health/may2011/nichd-23.Htm ask an OB doctor to evaluate risk/benefit.

In brief: Is benefit > risk?

Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Suzanne Gilberg-Lenz
as difficult as the end of pregnancy can be, it is critical to take into account 's wisdom...
Dr. Terrence Harris

In brief: Open discussion

The short answer is, yes - you have the right to, and should always, discuss anything and everything with your doctor. In some situations, induction of labor after 39 weeks gestation may be relatively safe for both mother and baby.
However, this depends very much upon the state of your pregnancy, your health, the baby's health, and other factors. The benefits and risks need to be weighed.

In brief: Open discussion

Dr. Terrence Harris
Dr. Terrence Harris
Dr. Padmavati Garvey

In brief: Open discussion

You can talk to your doctor about the pluses and minuses of doing this depending on how dilated you are, etc.

In brief: Open discussion

Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Jeff Livingston

In brief: Sure but...

You absolutely have the right to request an induction of labor but your doctor also has the right not to agree.
Induction after 39 weeks is ok in some circumstances but also increases the risk of c section. I welcome this discussion with my patients and we can make a decision together after we discuss their reasons for wanting to be induced and the risks associated with it.

In brief: Sure but...

Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Renee Harris

In brief: Yes and no

It is certainly a combined decision for induction, but there are multiple risks involved that are different for every patient.
These include the "ripeness" of the cervix, the number of previous pregnancies and outcome, and the quality of the pregnancy dating. A woman certainly has the right to ask for a cesarean, and many times that is what an induction will lead to if the cervix isn't favorable.

In brief: Yes and no

Dr. Renee Harris
Dr. Renee Harris