Is trifluoperazine for anxiety or schizophrenia?

Dr. Alan Ali

In brief: Stelazin

Due to potential for side-effects, some of which may be irreversible such as tardive dyskinesia, do not recommend off-label use.
Use only for psychotic symptoms.

In brief: Stelazin

Use only for psychotic symptoms.
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Jeff Jacobs
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: It depends

If your read the product labeling, you will see it is approved for schizophrenia.
However, medications are commonly used "off label" to treat other conditions, or when multiple conditions all require treatment. Depending on the source of the anxiety, trifluoperazine may provide benefit. I recommend that you ask your doctor for which symptoms/disorders the trifluoperazine is being prescribed.

In brief: It depends

Dr. Jeff Jacobs
Dr. Jeff Jacobs