What's a good working tooth whitening toothpaste?

Dr. Jake Richards
Dentistry

In brief: None for whitening

Hydrogen peroxide is the primary chemical used for whitening and although some toothpastes may have it, the concentration is not high enough and unless you want to sit there with toothpaste in your mouth for 30min to an hour it isn't going to do that much for you.
Mechanical removal of debris and plaque daily should be enough. If you want to whiten more, call your dentist or get a take home kit.

In brief: None for whitening

Dr. Jake Richards
Dr. Jake Richards
Dr. Jeffrey Goldstein
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: None, really.

Whitening toothpastes are not effective in whitening teeth and can be damaging to the enamel or make the teeth sensitive.
If you want whiter teeth, my recommendation is to talk to your dentist. He/she should have whitening systems that are safe and effective.

In brief: None, really.

Dr. Jeffrey Goldstein
Dr. Jeffrey Goldstein

In brief: None

Whitening toothpastes only have varied abrasives and additives to remove surface stain from the teeth.
To my knowledge, there are no peer reviewed studies that confirm a toothpaste actually changes the intrinsic or internal color of a tooth.

In brief: None

Dr. Willis Hardesty
Dr. Willis Hardesty
Dr. Jack Hinkle