What is a tooth whitening product?

Super cleaner. Most of the popular whitening products are some % of peroxide. Hydrogen and carbamide are the most popular. They basically super clean the discolored enamel. Some teeth are so internally discolored thet the products may be only marginally effective. Then you have to move to bonding / veneers / or crowns to get a whiter smile.
Oxidizer. Both carbamide peroxide and hydrogen peroxide are oxidizers. For over the counter or take-home whitening trays carbamide peroxide is used for whitening. For whitening that is done in the dental office, usually hydrogen peroxide is used. Carbamide peroxide is broken down to hydrogen peroxide in the mouth in a 3:1 ratio. So 30% carbamide peroxide is approximately 10% hydrogen peroxide.