Hi, can Lexapro (escitalopram) help with PTSD? Isn't it an antidepressant? I really need help with intrusive thoughts and anxiety from paranoia.

Dr. Mark Fisher
Neurology

In brief: Hmmm...

I don't know how it is in Singapore, but here Stateside you can't just wander into a drugstore and pick up some Lexapro (escitalopram) like it was aspirin.
You have to get a prescription from a doctor and not just because you want it, but because the doctor thinks it may help you. That's whom you need to ask that question, not one of us out here in the whispering static of the HealthTap ether.

In brief: Hmmm...

Dr. Judith Tellerman
Clinical Psychology

In brief: PTSD

It is important to find the correct combination of medications with your Psychiatrist.
Medications alone are not sufficient since they do not teach you coping mechanisms. Psychotherapy with a Clinical Psychologist can help you find ways to handle stress that will help your medications to work better.

In brief: PTSD