Can they test for fibromyalgia in an elderly person?

Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine
In brief: See below
Elderly people can get fibromyalgia but I do not see this as often in this group.
There is no "test" for fibromyalgia, it is diagnosed by the history and physical examination.

In brief: See below
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Dr. Pierre Moeser
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
The syndrome is diagnosed based on history, physical examination, and tests that rule out other conditions.
I would start with your primary care physician who can begin the work-up. Other doctors that can diagnose the condition are neurologists, rheumatologists, psychiatrists, pain specialists, and physiatrists. Ask the doctor's office before making an appt as not all doctors DX this condition.

Dr. Pierre Moeser
Dr. Pierre Moeser
Dr. Adam Levy