Are hives common with strep throat?

No. Not common but are possible. Strep throat can produce a variety of symptoms. If you start an antibiotic the hives may worsen as the germs die and release more of the substance at the root cause of the hives. Benadryl (diphenhydramine) can help with the itching. As long as no breathing problems, hives are annoying but not threatening.
Hives and Strep? Strep throat can be associated with either hives or a sand papery type rash. Also, headache and stomachache are also associated with strep. If your throat is painful and red, you should obtain a throat culture at your physician's office or a medi center. Hives can also be linked to viruses, allergic reactions, etc.